Gillian loves storytelling. Better yet, when it comes to opinions and truths. There are many angles from which one can look at life. She believes that the author, actor, singer, whoever the storyteller is, will convey about 30% of the story while the audience, with their own life experiences, opinions, understandings and imaginations, devises the rest.
She often feels there is no right or wrong because of the various standpoints and possible (personal) reasons, and also because as humans, we can empathise with one another. But surely we must all want true justice.
Gillian is so glad and fortunate to be involved in a play with a talented cast, director and writer, all with good intentions. So she would love to have you come join us on this journey of "Oh!".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* presented by AGNI KOOTTHU (THEATRE OF FIRE)
* written & directed by ELANGOVAN
* performed by Ahamed Ali Khan, Dew M. Chaiyanara, Gillian
Tan, Hemang Yadav, Lee Gao Ju, Max Ling & Shaiful Risan
* music by Eaddy & Lee Gao Ju
* Production Manager: S Thenmoli
* August 2 & 3, 2008 (Sat & Sun), 8pm
* $20 Guinness Theatre, The Substation
* Tickets available at The Substation box office (Tel: 63377800)
[ V1: Our school rule clearly states that pupils who are Singapore Citizens must sing the National Anthem. But it has been brought to my attention that you refuse to sing. What is bothering you? If you don't tell me, I cannot help you. We are a democratic country but it doesn't mean that you can do
whatever you like.
V2: You are wrong. The Asian Human rights Commission's report to the International Human Rights Day says that Singapore is the most complete authoritarian system in Asia today and perhaps also in the world. ]
I love Singapore. It is an honest mistake. What to do? Do you think I, a magician have gone mad? You belief you are normal because you think you are mentally organized? You are proud that you are cultured and refined as your behaviour is deemed socially acceptable by other monkeys around you? You have joined the tribe that listens, thinks and excretes the same and forms the majority segment of this society? You are sane and only your dominant group will define insanity for those like me who dance to a different beat? What will happen to your world when I get an opportunity to re-define your sanity with my magic wand at a convenience store? Have you ever been possessed by a chatty ghost before? Have you ever helped your senile mother to slice her jugular vein? Have you heard voices ringing non-stop in your head telling you to terminate those who:
- do not sing the national anthem because it is the language of a race you can't stand;
- switch off the life-support system of the local braindead soldier for organ transfer to save a foreign dictator;
- blackmail and molest the pizza-delivery boy for being late;
- interrogate the idealistic reporter for telling the truth;
- stab any foreign talent for refusing to appreciate your magic at the hawker centre?
My home-visit is due. I tak boleh tahan (cannot take it) anymore. Can I kill someone with kindness please?
Agni Kootthu (Theatre of Fire)